Monday, January 24, 2011

Duck Poutine

A few months ago I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the greatest poutines that I have ever tasted. Without any knowledge of the reputation that follows The Rosedale Diner, a colleague and I took our lunch break in this unsuspecting establishment in hopes of finding a nice greasy burger, typical diner style. What we found inside was not your usual diner - bohemian styled with an Israeli twist, a quick glance at the menu proves that this ain't no regular greasy spoon.  It includes lamb and bison burgers, green peppercorn duck liver pate, and wine-infused Berkshire sausages. Not too shabby, but what immediately caught my attention was the poutine.




The Poutine au Canard is to poutine as Usher is to Justin Bieber; it adds validity to an otherwise laughable subject. Don't get me wrong, poutine is one of my favourite meals of all time, but to think of it as a gourmet dish is quite a stretch (much like Bieber). This mound of heavenly grease includes off-the-bone duck confit & Quebecois cheese curds layered atop frites, and blanketed with a mouthwatering demi-glace gravy.


If I were a cop, this would be a case that I would never want to get to the bottom of. The duck confit was succulent, the demi-glace savoury, the curds squeaky and the frites somewhat soggy. All of these elements combine to create one of the best poutines I've ever eaten. My only complaint would be that the chef could have layered the gravy and cheese better; by the time you arrive at the end of this pleasure-cruise there isn't much more than a few dry fries left over. Oh, and this god-like grease bowl sells for $17 - a bit steep for a casual lunch but well worth it.

Amazing, I recommend this to any poutine fanatic.  5 out of 5 wooden poutine forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment